How Many Calories Am I Burning?
We all wonder how many calories we are burning. We are bombarded with the term calorie on food labels, packs of candy, fast food restaurants but ask yourself if you know what the word calorie means. A calorie is a measure of energy from food. Also the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water 1° C.
Here are some calories per hour you could burn doing everyday tasks or exercising. These are approximately the calories you can expect to burn if you weighed about 154lb. Heavier individuals could burn more calories and lighter individuals less.
- Hiking - about 370 calories per hour
- Light Gardening and Yard work - about 330 calories per hour
- Dancing - about 330 calories per hour
- Golf - about 330 calories per hour
- Bicycling at less than 10 mph - about 290 calories per hour
- Walking at 3.5 mph - about 280 calories per hour
- Weight lifting - about 220 calories per hour
- Stretching - about 180 calories per hour